About Me

My photo
Georgia.. born and raised.. finding myself caught up in the Midwest

Monday, March 8, 2010

Four Months In

More than four months in – wow. Is it really so difficult for me to believe I have been living out here for more than three months now? Nah. To tell you the truth, though, Kansas City has not always felt like home yet. Well, kind of. But in the short amount of time I’ve been out of the South, several amazing things occurred. I Rick Rolled Kansas City on Halloween (even if nobody here has ever heard of Rick Astley… Sad, I know), survived my first major holiday without any family members (rocked out grilling scallops wrapped in prosciutto skewered with rosemary sprigs at the Pauley’s, though), wrote my first crop of monster cases at work (after the frustrating yet laughable events of a little more than a year ago, I continue to serve notice that I have gumption), attended my first few big events in the area (saw Wicked during its run downtown.. sat next to a grandma and a mom with her high school daughter.. yeah, about that… also experienced my first Kansas home basketball game), and I hosted my first visitor to KC (in winter, no less). I found a new running route to enjoy (even if Cam’s dog, Maggie, is not here to trot alongside of me) and a new brewery to love. I’ve even made it through all of the winter months without ever turning the heat on in my apartment, resulting in power bills costing less than $30. Perhaps the most exciting thing that happened, though, came on an early morning drive down to Rolla, Missouri. Be honest, how many people would kill for the chance to hear Lil’ Troy’s, “Wanna be a Baller,” play on the radio while driving in your own Chevy Impala?? Well, the recipient of “The Hartford’s Secret Gangsta” office award was pretty pumped. I did take a three week hiatus from KC over the Christmas holiday (more on that vacation later), but I’ve had good experience overall so far.

Being away from family for extended periods of time is never ideal for either party involved. I’m not sure if my mom realizes I have no immediate plans to return to Georgia at any time in the near future. I do expect the Masters and Easter to be an annual excuse to get back to the South, but I will be joining my dad and two brothers in Indianapolis for the Final Four this year instead. Yes, I am extremely excited about this trip, as the Final Four is an event high on my sports bucket list… a list I did not expect to fall as quickly as it has been this year. Lucking my way into tickets for the BCS Championship, Final Four, and College World Series this year will help take big chunks off of that list, though. I’ll be away from friends and the other members of my family for a while. But, as Gchat, cell phones, and facebook constantly remind me, they are all much closer than the actual distance would have me believe. My folks demand constant updates on life and the huge business opportunities I’m pursuing. My sister gives me updates on her return to teaching and how my niece and nephews are doing (she also has a blog at www.raisingangels.blogspot.com). Aaron texts about Alabama football, and Brian BBMs me about Bama and Georgia sports with up to the minute opinions of beer and rock concerts as well (our last conversation went something like this… B, “Day of Rock Show > Morning after Rock Show”). I’m thankful for how well they keep me grounded. I’m thankful that they’re still there to celebrate my successes and let me share in theirs. I’m thankful, because I don’t like thinking about the man I would or wouldn’t be without their influence in my life. I have zero regrets about embarking on this new adventure in my life, but it’s not so wrong to miss the people who helped in your formation. As I continue to move through Lent, there’s one thing a pair of brothers helps remind me of. Always remember, there is nothing worth sharing… like the love that let us share our name.

1 comment:

Amy Parris said...

That all being said, is not the same as having you here. We're happy for you but also missing you like crazy.